Our bold vision, captured in our Strategic Plan: making a Difference: The 2025 Agenda, is to be internationally recognised as a world leader in research, an innovator in contemporary education, and the source of Australia’s most enterprising graduates.
To realise this ambition, we recently made a significant organisation change to a six College structure with a professional staff and services alignment.
We recognise the key to our success is exceptional people and we’re seeking an outstanding individual to join the team of our transformed university.
Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Fixed-Term until May 2023 | Full-Time
Research Academic Level A
$88,592 – $94,938 p.a.
Associate Professor, Medical Biotechnology
College of Medicine and Public Health
The salary range is reflective of the incumbent having completed a PhD.
This position may attract further funding for extension beyond the availability end date.
The Research Associate will undertake research focused on producing single cell microbial oil. The aim of the project is to screen strains (fungal/microalgae) for single cell oil production. In working with the Chief Investigators, the incumbent will contribute to the design and execution of experiments in the university laboratory and sites of the industry partner, implementation of downstream processing methods and data analysis, and preparation of publication and reports within the scope of the project.
The incumbent will perform hands-on research and assist the reporting of new research findings through generation of high-quality publications and conference presentations. The incumbent will contribute towards attracting externally funded grants and assist in the supervision and training of research higher degree students.
In addition, the incumbent will assist the Chief Investigator in maintaining a close relationship with industry partners to ensure research in the bioprocessing area is relevant and industry focused.
Key Position Responsibilities
The Research Associate in Medical (Fungal) Biotechnology in accountable for:
- Assisting in leading the Project by collaborating with the Project Research Team to successfully deliver project milestones and Key Performance Indicators.
- Conducting research within the field of bioprocessing (industrial biotechnology w.r.t production and processing of polyunsaturated fatty acids rich in omega-fatty acids from oil producing microbial biomass)
- Contribute to the planning and execution of research by offering new and innovative ideas, reviewing relevant literature and other sources of information, actively execute production of relevant data, contribute to the writing of manuscripts and attend seminars, meetings and conferences.
- Coordinating, planning and executing the project tasks required to collaborate with the Project industry partners.
- Assisting with grant applications for research projects by writing competitive National/International research grants.
- Assisting with co-supervision of Honours, graduate and PhD student’s and industry sponsored researchers as a conduit with principal supervisors.
- Assisting the Project Chief Investigators to develop a track record to competitively apply for external grants to expand the Centre’s Microalgal Research Program.
- Maintaining confidentiality regarding the results of the project where appropriate and when requested
- Any other responsibilities in line with the level of the position as assigned by the Supervisor and/or the University.
Key Position Capabilities
- Completion of a PhD in one of the following areas, biotechnology, bioprocessing engineering, biochemical engineering, chemical engineering, chemistry and biochemistry, or equivalent qualification in an appropriate and relevant field.
- Demonstrated research experience in carrying heterotrophic fermentation w.r.t oil producing microorganism, and relevant publications in high quality scientific journals.
- Demonstrated experience in performing mutagenesis using oleaginous microbes and experience with fungus strains
- Demonstrated experience in instrumentation GC-MS/HPLC for carrying fatty acid analysis, lipids analysis (fractionation of lipid classes, TLC-GC) and sugar analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to assist with leading and managing research programs and teams, in a diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability in assisting and/or developing collaborative industrial research partnerships.
- Demonstrated experience assisting successful co-supervision of higher-degree research students.
- Demonstrated well-developed interpersonal skills and the capacity to collaborate and engage with diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrate computing skills including word processing, presenting online literature search and email communication.
- Demonstrated experience in modern molecular biology techniques including cloning and expression of a gene, DNA extractions and phylogenetic analysis (desirable)
- Demonstrate knowledge and expertise in the downstream processing of lipids fractionation (desirable).
Candidates are encouraged to have discussion with the hiring manager, Associate Professor Munish Puri, prior to submitting an application.
Prescribed Conditions for Employment
Flinders University has introduced a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that requires all new staff members to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations, subject to medical exemptions.
Information for Applicants:
You are required to provide a suitability statement of no more than three pages, addressing the key capabilities of the position as outlined above. In addition, you are required to upload your CV.
A valid National Police Certificate which is satisfactory to the University will also be required before the successful applicant can commence in this position.
We are seeking to increase the diversity to improve equal opportunity outcomes for employees, and therefore we encourage female applicants, people with a disability and/or from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders descent to apply
Please note, late applications and applications sent via agencies will not be accepted.
Applications Close 11:59pm:
01 Jun 2022